Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trying out Splunk> 4.0.5 build 69401

This is my first time trying out an intelligent application that helps you monitor the content of your log files. Let's see how much I progress being a new user installing this application.

[1] Downloading a copy of Splunk>
This is the URL if you want to try out the free version of Splunk>. There are many choices of platforms for you to choose. I chose the MacOS 10.5 version and downloaded the DMG file. The version that I downloaded when I first wrote this article is splunk-4.0.5-69401-macosx-10.5-universal.dmg
[2] Installing Splunk>
If you are stumped trying to install Splunk>, there is a wiki page at your convenience. Click here to take a look at their help page and then select the appropriate version of the copy you downloaded. I clicked at version 4.0.5 and selected the link that guides me how to install it into my computer.
[3] Installation steps
The installation was a breeze until I wanted to launch it. According to the manual, I'll have to type this out $INSTALLATION_DIRECTORY/bin/splunk start. It did not work but I had this "gotcha" moment and did a ./splunk start and it worked just fine. You do not actually need to do $INSTALLATION_DIRECTORY/bin/splunk start --accept-license because you'll have to agree with the agreement during the installation by typing y (the second picture illustrates that).
[4] Installation process completed
I was shown these lines at the bottom of the output:

If you get stuck, we're here to help.
Look for answers here: http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation

The Splunk web interface is at http://nicholas-keys-macbook-pro.local:8000

[5] There's no step 5 :P
Just kidding. The fifth step is to start exploring the features of Splunk> and understand why it is good as how people claim it is. Splunk's themes are very catchy and I particularly like this theme "Finding your faults just like mum". Sample snapshot of Splunk> in my browser is shown below.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,

    I'm a PM/documentarian with Splunk and just wanted to say we appreciate your feedback. We updated the installation steps that you found confusing, so hopefully this will keep other people from having the same issue in the future. We appreciate your feedback, so please keep it coming. If you have any enhancement requests or further issues, feel free to submit these via our support portal located at:

    splunk.com/support

    Happy Splunking!
    --Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma,

    Thank you for dropping a comment here! I think Splunk has a great product that manages log to provide better insights to the users. I'm actually thinking of writing an application on top of Splunk's API. However, I'm not sure where and how to get started.

    ReplyDelete